Saturday, January 17, 2009

Friday, January 16

It was about 7a.m. when I awoke to the sounds of Sou's nurse taking his vitals. Sou had slept through the night after receiving two doses of Benadryl. It was probably the most sleep he's gotten since being admitted to the hospital. His blood pressure was 89 over 40 something and the nurse was concerned. His O2sat was 89 and she put him on some oxygen. I also noticed that he had tachypnea and I could see his heart beating through his chest. Several minutes later, while the nurse was listening to his lungs, a young female entered the room. She was one of the physicians on the floor. She also listened to his lungs and asked Sou a series of questions like, "Are you feeling okay?" and "Do you feel dizzy?" After she agreed that he seemed okay, she said that they would order a chest x-ray to be done just to be sure. Both the nurse and doc left the room while, giving time for Sou to eat breakfast. It was past 7a.m. Alaska time and I figured that I should give First Care a call to give them updates. I spoke with Jeanne, Tim, and Elsie. While in a conversation with Tim, a crowd of 7 docs walked into the room. I was like, "Okay, doctors are here. Gotta go!"

"Okay bye," he said and we hung up. It's great how he always cuts it short when necessary. Not like those people who you tell, "OKAY I HAVE TO GO" and they linger on the phone. Like, "OH REALLY? GEE, how come?" Well, even though there were 7 of them, only 3 spoke. They asked the same questions about how he was feeling. One doc asked about his fevers. It was awkward how 7 docs were standing around him in that tiny room. It was decided that he should receive a bag of platelets. They all left and the platelets arrived. 

One nurse verified his name on the arm band and another nurse verified the name on the bag of platelets. They started to joke about how long his name was. Seems like no one here has seen a longer name. When my mom stopped by on Wednesday night, she forgot his room number. She asked the people at the desk and said, "I can't remember his name, but it's really long." 

"OH I know exactly who you're talking about! It starts with an 'S' right?" Then I started telling the nurses how the cafeteria always knows exactly who i'm talking about when I call to order his meals.

"His last name is S-Y....." 

"B-O-U-N-H-E-U-A-N-G?" they would ask.

Sou was given a cup of meds including some Tylenol and a Benadryl. Then it was nap time for Sou. Later my mom picked me up and we went to Target to get Sou some stuff.

When I returned, the nurse told me that they were concerned about his blood pressure being so low again. She was going to notify the doc and have him see Sou. After a few minutes Sou dozed off again. His room phone began to ring which woke him up. I answered the phone. It was my mom. While on the phone with her, Sou was trying to tell me something. I looked at him and said, "What?" 

"Miscontrol," he said.

"WHAT????"

"MISCONTROL. You know like, MISACCIDENT?....SHEESH!!" he told me as he rolled his eyes. I was like wtf? I think the medications were getting to him lol.I don't think those are legit words. But whatever. 

Later on Sou's nurse and one of the other nurses came into the room with a bag of his Arsenic Trioxide. They both verified his name on his wrist band and the IV bag. This was his second dose. Along with the IV, the nurse gave him several pills of All-Trans and a Zofran. Sou was also having a headache again that wasn't relieved by Tylenol so they gave him an Oxy.

An hour later after his IV was done, the nurse came in to check his vitals. Sou woke up when she came in. He was obviously more talkative and loud. Saying stuff like, "I should go visit my neighbors." When I asked how he was feeling, he said, "I feel like I can run around the building! WHOOOP!!!" Yeah, it was kinda creepy. You could tell that the meds totally got to him. The nurse said, "Oh, I think that Oxy is working huh?"

"Oxy? What's that?" he asked. She looked at me and whispered, "I only gave him a small one" and smiled. Sou said a bunch of other stuff that didn't make sense before we fell asleep for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Jheri! HI I just got done reading all your blogs on the updates on SOU.. Looks like he was feeling better on Fri... hehe... thats good to hear hehe even though it maybe because of the meds... what is miscontrol/misaccident? lol run the building? lolz that cracked me up haha. Let him know David and I said Hello and hang in there! Your a good writer by the way! OH! Tell your Mom and Kaliya I said HI!!! Tell Kaliya I miss her!!! =) ok then I'll come back and check up on your updates on here... I'm gonna bookmark hehee. ne ways yea take care down there. OH YEA I heard about where you went from Irelynn haha crazy... kk comment you again later bye!~ take care

    PS... it's confusing to leave a comment!!!!!! it won't let me unless I selected a valid "comment as:" selection! =/

    ReplyDelete