Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

After ordering Sou's breakfast, I walked down the hall to use the bathroom and brush my teeth. When I came back, Sou's vitals were getting taken again. They were taking his temperature in celsius. It was 40.8. I hopped on the computer and googled a converter. It said it was 105.44 F. It was crazy how he would be hanging out and not feel the 105 fever. His resting pulse was 134 and his O2sat was 85%. They put him on his oxygen and it increased to about 90%. They gave him some Benadryl so he could get some rest. While he was sleeping, I went upstairs to the 8th floor to get some laundry done. They had a lounge set up for family members where you could hang out and do laundry. They also had a coffee maker and a microwave. It was nice that they had the washer and dryer. It was the kind where the dryer was stacked on top the washer. The downside was that you could only use one at a time. So once I was done with my first load, I put it in the dryer and had to let it sit there til my second load was done. It's okay though, I got a lot of sudoku done. 

At about 12:30p.m. I went back to Sou's room. They had him in a wheelchair getting ready for another x-ray. He was still breathing heavily and his eyes were red. Once again, he claimed that he felt okay. The x-ray they had taken in the middle of the night was with a portable machine. The machine could only do one view. They saw some fluid in his lungs and wanted him to go downstairs to get 2 views. With his fever being in the 105F range, his racing pulse, low blood pressure, and his visible shortness of breath, I was concerned. Just like other times, the nurse said they would keep a close eye on him. Before he returned, I ordered him some lemongrass pork, jasmine rice, a fruit cup, broccoli, a dinner roll and a gatorade fruit punch. Five minutes later, he hopped into bed and fell asleep. My mom was supposed to get off work at 2:30p.m. and stop by later on. 

While Sou was taking a nap, my mom and I ate lunch/dinner at a little italian restaurant down the street. Even though it was just up the street, it probably took us 20 minutes to get there. First, my mom was in the wrong lane, then she got into the right lane, then decided we should go to Bellevue. We saw how traffic was going so we turned around again and spotted the italian place. Then we circled the block a couple of times to get parking. I had a wonderful helping of carbs and some salad. It was good food. Sou usually calls me frequently when i'm not at the hospital. To my surprise, he only called once. We got back to his room and the nurse was taking his vitals. His temperature had gone down and his O2sat was at 96% because they had him on oxygen. His pulse was still racing. After my mom used the laptop for a few minutes, she said goodbye and headed for home. About 15 minutes later, she called saying that she was stuck in traffic. 

"Where are you? Are you like, halfway there?" I asked.

"NO look outside your window! I'm up the street on that bridge," she said. That sucks. I'm not liking this whole traffic thing even though i'm never really stuck in it. 

For the next couple of hours Sou watched t.v. and I worked on Sudoku. The season 5 premiere for LOST was coming on at 8p.m. It was supposed to be a 2 episode deal. After watching that, we didn't have a whole lot of answers, just more questions to ponder on. Before we went to bed, the nurse said that they had switched his prednisone to decadron and gave him that and lasix. Sou probably went to the bathroom (number 1) about 3 times in half an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment