Saturday, January 24, 2009

Friday, January 23


Kaliya's "Get Well" Card to Sou------>

Earlier in the morning I could hear Sou trying to wake me up. I heard him order his breakfast and he kept telling me to go downstairs to get mine.

"Wake up! Breakfast time! Go get your breakfast," he said. I ignored him because I was too tired and still half asleep. At about 8:30a.m. I finally woke up. I made my self presentable enough to walk down the hall to the bathroom. I wasn't too hungry, so I just had a granola bar. Later on, Irelynn called. She said that she was getting the house keys from Michelle today. I also received a text from Michelle saying that Brad left the place without taking the trash, doing his dishes or emptying the rice cooker. The rice cooker was all moldy. That combination left the place smelling real good. I told Irelynn to restrict Brad from any internet use until he cleaned the entire place. I went downstairs to grab some lunch. To my surprise, they were serving chicken adobo. YUM. I guess i've gotten used to the long walk to the cafeteria because it doesn't seem that long anymore. 

After lunch, Sou took his second nap of the day. Mark gave me a call to confirm tomorrow's plan. We're suppose to be going to the movies and then a sushi/seafood buffet. We all know how much Jheri needs a buffet right now, but that's okay. I'll just bottle the whole day's hunger until then. The group of docs made an appearance a little before 1p.m. The same group as yesterday showed up (3rd year resident, the leader, the fellow, newbie) in addition to the nurse and one more doc. The pain behind Sou's leg has become more bothersome. They switched his antibiotics yesterday and would like to give it some time for it to take effect. In the meantime, they decided to keep giving him something for the pain. Before they left, I asked "How long is it before he can go home?"

"Well, if this antibiotic does what we want it to do, he'll need to be on it for 10 days. It also depends on his temperature staying down," said the leader of the pack. 

"Also, right now, they're not letting him leave this floor. At what point will he be able to roam around?" I asked. 

"Why isn't he leaving the floor?" he said as they all turned to the nurse. Startled by the attention, she quickly reached into her pocket for a piece of paper.

"Right now he's on neutropenic precautions," she responded. As a group, the docs decided it was okay to remove those precautions.

"Yea, he can leave to get some fresh air or to get some coffee. Just don't leave for 5 hours, we'll send out 'search and rescue' if you do," he joked. With that settled, I felt a little better. We could go on mini field trips to keep him from getting so bored. 

Sometime after another nap, he woke up with pain in the back of his legs again. This time I noticed it was worse. He had a really hard time getting in and out of bed. He even had a hard time walking. The nurse came in because he wanted to take a shower. She wrapped up his arm so his PICC wouldn't get wet. Because of his increased pain, the nurse got the okay to give Sou some morphine. To start him off, they wanted to try 1 mg first. We planned on going on a walk afterward. I asked if they would still allow him to walk with the morphine in his system. The nurse said that she would have to walk with him first before going off on his own. After about 15 minutes, Sou didn't feel like walking anymore. He was happy and relaxed. 

When it came around to dinner time, instead of taking the elevator downstairs, I  took the stairs. I walked the endless hallways. On the way back, instead of taking the elevator back up to the 7th floor, I took the stairs once more. I didn't feel the burn until I reached the 4th floor. I decided that since I was already half way there, I should just go all the way. By the time I reached the 7th floor, I was soo out of breath. It was the first time using my inhaler since leaving Alaska. I figure if I do that at least once a day, i'll get use to it. By the time Sou gets released, it'll be easy as cupcake. 

After dinner, we watched Jerry McGuire, Liar Liar, then Jurassic Park. During Jurassic Park, the nurse came in to do the routine vitals. I mentioned that Sou's feet were beginning to swell up and asked if they should be elevated. She said yes and got two pillows to place underneath his ankles. She recommended that Sou do more walking around, starting tomorrow morning. 


My Chicken Adobo

Sou's Fruit Platter with Clam Chowder

No comments:

Post a Comment