Friday, January 23, 2009

Thursday, January 22


After breakfast, a male nurse came in to check Sou's vitals. He also gave him some decadron and lasix. While shooting the meds through Sou's PICC line, he asked us about last night's episode of Lost. Then the three of us went into discussion. We went over topics like why all of them need to go back, who requested Kate and Aaron's blood tests and the wierdness of time travel on the island. Then he left us alone for a couple of hours. Sou continued to make numerous trips to the bathroom to go number 1 while I did more sudoku. Mom later called to confirm our Bellevue exploration for the afternoon. I told her to bring some clothes over. Yesterday while I did laundry I discovered a shower upstairs for family members to use. Now I don't need to make frequent trips to my mom's place and I could be here whenever the docs talk to Sou. It's usually a foreign language when they talk to him so i'm usually his translator. 

Sometime before lunch, the group of docs making their rounds stopped by Sou's room. There was a new attending physician. Who knows where the other one went, but I heard that they rotate every couple of weeks. You could tell he was the leader of the pack by the way the others acted. Besides the fact that he was the only one not wearing a white coat and just wearing a suit and tie, every time Sou would answer one of their questions, they would glance at him. It was like they were looking at him for an answer or an approval. You could also tell who was next on the totem pole. Doctor Hobbs, the 3rd year resident, did a lot of the talking  while the other one would say stuff here and there. This other girl, who I haven't seen before stood in the corner and didn't say a word. I assumed she was new. There had been some swelling on the backside of Sou's leg. The main dude put on some gloves and felt the area.

"Does this hurt?" he asked.

"AHHH"

"How about this?"

"AHHHHH, yea," Sou replied. He took off his gloves and washed his hands. He said that he didn't think it was an abscess and it was probably some type of cellulitis. Because Sou was already on hardcore antibiotics, they said they would give it another day. If there was no improvement by tomorrow, they would do a CT scan.

When my mom picked me up, we drove through Bellevue. After a while, we decided to head to downtown Seattle. We ended up going to Pike's Market and hanging out there. This one place had $4 happy hour specials on appetizers. We ordered a a bunch of appetizers and had those for dinner. It was dark and really cold when we left. Not Alaska cold though. The traffic on the way back to the hospital was alright. I'm not sure how it was on the way back to my mom's place. 

During one of the times the nurse was taking his vitals, she asked if I had seen the VHS collection upstairs. I did. I saw a couple of tapes that were watchable. 

"What? Really? Hook it up!" Sou said as he looked at me. 

"Yea later," I replied. Before the nurse left, she decided to change Sou's dressing for his PICC line. When Sou took a shower earlier, water had gotten it wet. After that was taken care of, I went upstairs to get some tapes. It didn't take me long time find some good tapes which surprised me. I saw a bunch but decided to only take 4 back to the room. I got Vertical Limit, Jerry McGuire, Liar Liar, and Jurassic Park. Ah the classics. Sou never seen Vertical Limit so we put that on first. After about 30 minutes, we began to fall asleep. We turned it off and called it a night.



The view of the stadium from his room

1 comment:

  1. I should give you some movies for you and Sou to watch on the laptop while there is nothing to watch on tv.

    ReplyDelete